It is inflammatory disease which includes colon, rectum along with a small part of small intestine. Ulcerative colitis comes under the category of inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD). Crohn’s disease comes under the second category of inflammatory bowel diseases. It can sometimes results in serious problems, as it is a chronic disease.
From the past few years, there is a rise in number of patients suffering from ulcerative colitis. Unfortunately, according to modern medicine, it is considered as incurable disease. It is also known as Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) which is regarded as a chronic ailment of colon.
According to modern medicine, it is believed that food allergy, intake of certain medicines for a long duration, intake of antibiotics for a longer time, incompatible food, eating late nights can result in developing this disease.
According to Ayurveda
- As Ayurveda believes in curing the disease from the root, this problem has a proper solution. According to Ayurveda, it initiates with mild diarrhoea then leads to stools with Ama [toxic substances] then results in constipation.
- In Ayurveda, it is also known as pittaj grahani.
SYMPTOMS OF ULCERATIVE COLITIS
Commonly the patients have ulcers in their inner lining of the colon who suffers from the ulcerative colitis shows symptoms like:
- Abdominal Pain
- Stool in blood
- Pain in rectal area
- Increase in bowel sounds
- Rectal bleeding
- Weight loss
- Malnutrition [poor health]
Symptoms vary with the location of ulceration:
- When inflammation occurs in rectal along with sigmoid region then sufferers have symptoms of urgency, painful feeling during defecation, bleeding in the rectal area.
- When inflammation occurs in rectum with left part of colon then sufferers have symptoms of pain in left part of abdomen, abdominal cramps, weight loss, watery stools mixed with blood.
CLASSIFICATION OF ULCERATIVE COLIITIS
It is the most serious & common disorder and is classified into 3 types on the basis of severity-
MILD – The characteristic features of mild ulcerative colitis are-
- Four or less than four stools per day
- Stools may with or without blood
- No systemic disturbances
- No change in the ESR value [erythrocyte sedimentation rate]
MODERATE- The characteristic features of moderate ulcerative colitis are-
- More than 4 stools daily
- Few systemic disturbances
SEVERE – The characteristic features of severe ulcerative colitis are-
- Not less than 6 stools daily
- Stools with blood
- More systemic disturbances like fever, anaemia, tachycardia
- Greater changes in the ESR value [erythrocyte sedimentation rate]
DIAGNOSIS OF ULCERATIVE COLITIS
As ulcerative colitis involves only colon and rectum, it is easy to diagnose. Some of the diagnostic tools are as follows:
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy/colonoscopy: colonoscopy is the preferred choice as it can be uses to see the whole colon.
- Biopsies which are collected during the procedure of colonoscopy/sigmoidoscopy
- x-ray of abdominal area
- Stool analysis
- Barium enema
- MRI or CT scan
- Urine and blood test to check for inflammation, anaemia, malnutrition.
Top 7 Home Remedies to Treat ulcerative Colitis
- Nowadays dieticians usually advises patients with Ulcerative colitis to avoid fruits which are raw during a flare up.
- Generally ripe and soft bananas are best tolerated and digested.
- Bananas are known to be a very good source of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, energy. Many Soft fruits including canned pears or peaches are not that irritating.
- Pomegranate contains a number of healthy constituents involving antioxidants and polyphenols. Antioxidants protects the human cells from harmful free radicals and polyphenols serves lots of protective actions including as anti-inflammatory and antibacterial activities which is necessary for the Treatment of Ulcerative Colitis. Pomegranate juice is preferable than fruit.
How to Take
- Drink 50 ml of pomegranate juice twice in a day to relieve abdominal pain and bleeding.
- Pumpkins can play a big role in preventing cancer and other serious diseases. Pumpkins have also been shown to fight off certain types of cancers.
- This means you can not only prevent disease with pumpkin cheese soup but fight off disease as well.
- Ulcerative colitis is associated with blood loss.
- This results in loss of iron.
- Apple plays an important role to recover this iron loss.
- Apple are great source of iron.
- Apples will improve the appetite and get rid of that bloating feeling.
- If ulcerative colitis is active and there is bleeding, remove apple skin before eating or drink a glass of apple juice, as that would replace the iron lost from bleeding, and it would give the strength. Consume boiled apple for better results.
- Marigold’s Juice of the petals is believed to be good in healing and relieving the sign and symptoms of ulcerative colitis.
- For this petals of the flower are made to crush and then its juice is finally extracted.
How to Take
One may consume around 20 ml of juice every day.
Rose Petals Juice
- 20 ml daily is enough. Or just chew fresh leaves 3 to 4 times daily.
- This wonderful home remedy helps to arrest the bleeding and provides the smoothening effects.
- In order to reduce acidity, heart burn and burning sensation in chest it chewing some fresh rose petals are great to be very effective in curing this problem.
- Thus it is good to manage the ulcerative colitis.
- It is rich in calcium and magnesius and almost contains around 3% protein along with alkaloids. Gondh katira is effective for treating constipation.
- Gondh katira possesses purgative properties and so it is very helpful in treating constipation.
- It is taken because of its laxative properties and provides a great relief.
- The gum will swell up and look like crushed ice. Now drink this transparent jelly like substance with lemon juice and cold water. One may also add some sugar to it since gondh is tasteless.