Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP) is the condition of very low platelet count. Most of the cases of ITP are related to the production of antibodies which destroy platelets. A very low platelet count leads to visible symptoms such as purpura (large bruises) and bleeding. The bleeding results from unusually low levels of platelets (the cells that help in the clotting of blood).
The normal platelet count is in between 1,50,000-4,50,000/microliter of circulating blood. People suffering from ITP often have platelet count below 20,000. The greater risk of ITP is when the platelet count falls very low (below 10,000 platelets/microliter). As a result, internal bleeding may occur without any injury.
It affects both children and adults. Children often develop ITP after a viral infection and usually recovers fast without taking any treatment but in adults, this disorder is often long term.
What are the symptoms of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP)?
- Easy and excessive bruising
- Bleeding from the gums and nose
- Superficial bleeding into the skin that appears as a rash of pin-point size reddish-purple spots usually on the lower legs.
- Unusually heavy menstrual flow in females.
What are the causes of ITP?
There is an increased breakdown of platelets because people with ITP, antibodies produced by the immune system attach themselves to the platelets, marking them for destruction. The organ spleen which helps the body in fighting infection recognises the antibodies and removes the platelets from the system. As a result, there is a lower number of circulating platelets than the normal.
How to deal them in Ayurveda?
The Ayurvedic treatment of low platelet count consists of using various home natural remedies for ITP natural cure. The remedies produce remarkable results and increases the platelet count naturally without causing any side effects.
Home Remedies for Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP) are:
- Papaya: Papaya and its leaves are very helpful in increasing platelet count. Consume ripe papaya or drink the juice of papaya leaves every day.
How to use: Drink a glass of papaya leaf juice every day.
Extract papaya leaf juice by collecting fresh leaves and remove their stalk and crush the leaves using mortar and pestle. Drink 2 tablespoons of papaya leaf juice daily per 8 hours.
- Beet Root: Beet root prevents the free radical damage and also helps in increasing the platelet count.
How to use: Mix 3 tablespoons of beet root juice in 1 glass of carrot juice and drink it twice daily.
- Aloe vera juice: Aloe vera helps in blood purification process. It is also effective in preventing blood infections which leads to an increase in blood platelet count and treats the problem of low platelets effectively.
How to use: 2 tablespoons Aloe vera juice mixed with 2 tablespoons amla juice can also be consumed twice a day.
- Pumpkin: Both pumpkin as well as its seeds are useful in increasing platelet count naturally. The nutrients present in pumpkin produce a protein effectively, which regulates the production of platelets. The regulation of protein cells is very important for increasing the number of platelets. Pumpkin also contains Vitamin A which is useful in increasing the platelet count. Thus, regular consumption of pumpkin and its seeds are very useful in increasing the platelet count naturally.
How to use: Drink ½ a glass of pumpkin juice mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey and take this mixture 2-3 times a day.
- Wheatgrass: Wheatgrass contains chlorophyll which has a molecular structure like that of haemoglobin in our blood. It is beneficial in increasing platelet count in the blood. It significantly increases haemoglobin by increasing red blood cells, white blood cells as well as platelets.
How to use: Take ½ to 1 cup of wheatgrass juice daily.
- Spinach: Spinach is a very good source of Vitamin K, so it is often used as a natural supplement for increasing platelet count. Vitamin K plays an important role in blood clotting, thus reduces the excessive bleeding and bruising. Thus, Vitamin K supplements are also recommended to improve the platelet count.
How to use: Boil 2 cups of water and 4-5 spinach leaves for a few minutes.
- Increase the intake of flax seeds as they are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. They help in increasing the platelet count.
- Include pomegranate, carrots, broccoli, kale, collards, drumstick leaves, dried figs, dates, raisins, all gourd family vegetables in the diet.
- Vitamin K deficiency is also considered to be an important count for low platelet count.
- Avoid processed and refined foods completely.
- Avoid refined sugar, alcohol and smoking.
- Eliminate exposure to toxic chemicals such as pesticides and chemicals.