Not many are aware of the impact of heavy metals on the human body. Heavy metal is basically a toxic metal which could have a significant impact on your body. The human body has a tendency to absorb heavy metals from many different sources like water, food and cosmetics and excessive heavy metal inside the body may cause poisoning.
Heavy metal can enter the body and is carried by the blood cells that transfer the metal into organs like the liver, brain, kidneys, eyes and the nervous system. This is why individuals who have a high level of heavy metal could have it in more than one organ inside the body. Heavy metal can disturb the entire biochemical process of the body and can cause organ malfunction.
There is no denying the fact that the human body needs a certain amount of heavy metals like iron, manganese and zinc. However, an overexposure of these metals can become toxic. There could be poisoning due to the accumulation of heavy metals inside the human body and it could lead to severe damage of the tissues if they accumulate excessive heavy metals.
Symptoms of metal poisoning
There are many heavy metals toxicity symptoms and they vary from one type to another. It also varies according to the number of heavy metals in the body. We are all at a high risk of coming in contact with toxic metals and this risk can be reduced by eating organic food and drinking filtered water. Here is a list of metals that can have an adverse impact on your body and mind.
Used by chemical workers as well as dental assistants, overexposure to mercury can lead to brain, lung and kidney problems. It could lead to a burning pain in the chest and breathlessness. The common symptoms of mercury poisoning include depression, headache, insomnia, fatigue, lack of concentration, memory loss, foggy thinking, visual problems, dehydration, kidney damage and brain damage.
Found in the manufacturing of pesticides, arsenic produces a type of gas which has unique industrial uses. An overexposure of arsenic can lead to headaches and seizures. Some common symptoms of arsenic poisoning include weakness, fever, white bands on fingernails, muscle aches, excessive burning in the mouth and throat, vomiting, nausea, low blood pressure and darkening of the skin in certain areas.
Copper is used in manufacturing electrical wires and overexposure to copper can cause a flu like reaction or disturbance in the blood. Some common symptoms of copper poisoning include depression, metallic taste in the mouth, anxiety, learning disabilities, memory loss and abdominal complaints.
One can find lead in gasoline, paint or lead pipes which carry water. In addition, lead can also be found in hair days. overexposure to lead can cause poisoning effects in children between one to three years more than adults because it is stored in the bones and can affect any organ inside the body. An overexposure to lead for children can make them clumsy and less playful. The symptoms in children include vomiting, headache, constipation, pale skin, changes in kidney functions and a lack of appetite. In the case of adults, lead poisoning can lead to high blood pressure and can cause damage to reproductive organs. The symptoms include fever, loss of appetite, fatigue, abdominal pain, headache, joint pain, vomiting, memory loss, insomnia and anemia.
Aluminum has numerous uses. It is used in the processing of certain foods, cosmetics and medicine. Aluminum poisoning can cause brain damage and its symptoms include speech disorders, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, excessive headache and constipation.
Used in many things like storage batteries, vapor lamps and in the manufacturing of glass and cars, cadmium can cause significant damage to the human body. Overexposure to cadmium can result in poisoning, which causes nausea, headaches and fever. Symptoms of cadmium poisoning include dry skin, anemia, heart disease, hair loss, kidney stones and joint pain.
Those working in an environment where there is high exposure to heavy metals, need to take caution when dealing with them and try to avoid it as much as possible. A regular check is a must to ensure your safety. If you notice any of the above-mentioned symptoms, it is a must to visit the doctor. Your body will need some amount of heavy metals and if you do not know the right amount, then it is best to consult a doctor. Overexposure to any heavy metal can cause trouble to the body.
Leave a Reply