Obesity is a health disorder in which there is an excessive accumulation of fat in the body resulting in being overweight. It is determined by measuring a person’s Body Mass Index based on his height and weight. A BMI of more than 30 is considered obese. According to Ayurveda, the excess of Kapha dosha leads to obesity or being overweight.
Causes of Obesity
Being obese puts one at a risk of serious health problems like insulin resistance, Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, gall stones, gout, arthritis, cancers and chronic illness.
A healthy diet is the key to losing weight. A lifelong healthy eating habit along with exercise routine is necessary to maintain a good weight. It is advised to lose weight gradually so that it stays off. Shedding weight too fast leads to the muscle and bone loss along with water instead of fat.
- Being overweight can also be a genetic problem in some cases.
- Women often gain weight around menopause due to changes in hormones.
Home Remedies to Lose Weight:
Warm Water with Lemon
- It is advised to drink a glass of warm water with a lemon first thing in the morning to boost the digestive system and aids in detoxification.
- Lemon juice is a rich in fiber, Vitamin B, C and minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc and phosphorous. The citric acids in lemons help in burning fats.
How to Make
- One can prepare lemon juice by mixing three spoons of squeezing the lemon with a spoon of honey, pinch of black pepper in a glass of water and drink it on an empty stomach for 3 months.
Drinking sips of hot water or tea throughout the day helps in dissolving Ama or toxins. Fresh ginger can be added to this water. The frequency with which one drinks this water is more important than the amount. A few sips every hour give the best result. One may take Green tea instead of regular tea. Green tea is rich in Vitamin C, carotenoids, zinc, selenium, chromium and other minerals. It can be combined with ginger tea or cayenne pepper tea.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple Cider Vinegar helps break down fat and prevents the accumulation of the body fat.
- A glass of water mixed with a spoon of apple cider vinegar can be taken in the morning or before meals.
Aloe Vera juice
- Another well-known home remedy to stimulate metabolism and helps lose weight is Aloe Vera juice.
- Aloe Vera is known for its laxative properties. It increases energy consumption and mobilized unused fat in the body.
How to Make
- One can prepare fresh Aloe Vera juice using fresh Aloe Vera leaves (peel them and scoop out the pulp).
- Blend it for 2 minutes with water or any citrus fruit. The juice should be taken for at least one month to see the results.
- One of the best-known ways to lose weight according to Ayurveda is to eat 10 fresh curry leaves daily in the morning.
- These leaves contain mahanimbine which is an alkaloid that has anti-obesity and lipid-lowering effects.
Honey and Cinnamon
- One can make honey and cinnamon solution and drink it on an empty stomach.
- It is prepared by mixing the cinnamon powder in hot water and adding honey to it.
- Cinnamon helps in avoiding overeating by fighting insulin resistance and honey fights obesity by promoting fat metabolism.
- Eating raw tomatoes with peel and seeds in the morning act as dietary fiber.
- Healthy Diet includes whole foods like fruits like raspberries, vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, lima beans, lentils peas, artichokes, grains and proteins like nuts, beans, soy.
- Processed food should be avoided as processing takes away fiber, iron and essential vitamins.
- Adding proteins to the diet makes one feel fuller and can reduce appetite. The body burns calorie when digesting and metabolizing the proteins.
- A high protein breakfast is strongly recommended.
Kapha Pacifying Diet is best to lose weight. It is advised to go for foods that are bitter, pungent and astringent in taste rather than the ones that are sweet, salty or sour.
Bitter Food Detoxifies the body; it improves the sense of taste, tone the skin and muscles, improves appetite and helps to absorb moisture, lymph, muscle fat, adipose tissue. This includes bitter greens like kale, dandelion greens, bitter melon, eggplants and dark chocolate.
Astringent Foods create a drying sensation in the mouth, tone the body tissues, reduce heat and pacify inflammation. This includes legume like soya beans, pinto beans and vegetables like cauliflower, lettuce, and broccoli.
Pungent Foods clear the sinuses and stimulate body’s metabolism. It liquifies secretions, encourages sweating and thins the blood. Pungent is spicy, hot flavors like in chilies, radishes, turnips, raw onions.
- It is very important to read food labels to know how many calories are in a serving. Low glycemic index diet and low carbohydrate diet is helpful in losing weight. Small amounts of fat are helpful in keeping one feel full for example in fish, nuts, seeds, olive oil and coconut oil.
- It is recommended to take light dinners, something that is easily digested and must be taken 2 hours before bedtime.
- To maximize digestion, one needs to eat a larger meal during noon as the digestive fire is strongest around noon.
- At least 6 cups of water daily can help lose weight easily. Water has zero calories so it doesn’t lead to weight gain as other sweetened drinks do.
- Avoid high sugar sport drinks and protein bars as they are full of calories. Prefer unsweetened tea or coffee, lemon water.
Things to be Eat and Avoided
- It is recommended to eat small portions of meals as often as possible. This improves the metabolism and stops overeating.
- Keep alcohol intake in control. One glass of wine with dinner is good but taking 3 or more drinks adds extra calories.
- One needs to avoid fast foods and sugary snacks in order to lose weight as they are low in fiber and don’t make you feel full.
Getting 8 hours of sleep gives the body time to detoxify and maintain healthy levels of cortisol or stress response hormone that cause weight gain. It is very important to sleep on time every day.
DR. Vikram Chauhan, MD – AYURVEDA is an expert Ayurvedic practitioner based in Chandigarh, India and doing his practice in Mohali, India. He is spreading the knowledge of Ayurveda Ancient healing treatment, not only in India but also abroad. He is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Products, Planet Ayurveda Clinic, and Krishna Herbal Company. For more info visit our website.