If you have recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure, you might be wondering if there is a way to reduce it without taking drugs. Maybe you are already taking a medication to treat it but we all know that any drug can produce a side effect which can be just as bad or even worse than the condition you are treating. Many people today will first seek a natural way to deal with their high blood pressure because it is a condition that is highly preventable.
- Going for power walks is the perfect way to begin. This exercise allows the heart to use oxygen more efficiently so pumping blood is not so difficult. If you vary your distance and speed, you will challenge your heart and that is a good thing.
- You can also take up yoga or another meditative, slow breathing practice which will lower stress hormones.
- Another good change would be to eat a lot of potassium rich vegetables and fruits such as orange juice, bananas, sweet potatoes and cantaloupe. Dried fruits like raisins and prunes are also a good choice.
- Sodium comes into play with high blood pressure also. Because there is no test that can diagnose if someone is sodium sensitive, everyone would be wise to cut back on their sodium intake. This means to read the labels as you shop especially on processed foods.
- Chocolate lovers will be happy to hear the dark varieties contain flavanols which give elasticity to the blood vessels. One study showed that eighteen percent of patients who ate dark chocolate each day saw a decrease in their pressure.
- Tea instead of caffee. If you are a coffee drinker, you might hear conflicting information on the effects of caffeine on blood pressure. Caffeine and stress are two factors that can tighten blood vessels, making your pressure go up, so start drinking a good tea instead. Teas with hibiscus offer photochemicals which are known to reduce blood pressure and you can find it in many herbal teas, just read the label.
- Another lifestyle change that can do wonders for your high pressure is listening the right tunes. One research found that those with high blood pressure who listened to soothing classical music for just thirty minutes a day, while also breathing slowly, lowered their systolic reading by three points in just one week. After one month, those points increased to four points.
- Working less is another good treatment that you can do for yourself
- Supplement of co-enzyme Q10 has been shown to lower blood pressure by up to seventeen mmhg. This antioxidant is needed to produce energy and also works to dilate blood vessels.
- Alcohol in high levels are obviously detrimental to your health but moderate drinking has shown to protect your heart. This moderate drinking is one drink per day for females and two for men. If you must drink, just keep it in check.
All of these small but important changes are easy to achieve and your heart will benefit immensely. It is up to you to take good care of your ticker so you can live a long and healthy life – well being.
Post by Holly Adams @ Coupon Croc. Save on blood pressure monitors, heartrate monitors, and other health related products with Argos discount codes.
Leave a Reply