By now we know that natural ingredients are not only better for the environment but also healthier for us! But sometimes those organic products can be rather pricey to be purchasing on a consistent basis. So we’ve put together some key ingredients for do-it-yourself skin care at home: most of which you’ll already have on hand in the kitchen pantry.
Suspicious that your standard cake ingredients could never solve hard skin care issues effectively? Women have been using these tried and true skin secrets for centuries! They sure didn’t have any anti-aging cream or oil-free lotions available at Sephora.
Good news: the same ingredients will work today! Here they are, use organic versions for natural skin care:
- Honey – It’s no idle gossip that Cleopatra was known to bathe each day in honey and milk. Though it might sound sticky, honey is a natural antibiotic cleanser and a humectant, which means it retains moisture. This makes honey a great skin cleanser and moisturizer all in one! Thanks, Cleo!
- Sugar – While we’re thinking of sticky sweet, sugar’s glycolic acid and grainy texture are ideal for exfoliating rough areas and washing away dead skin. You can find sugar scrubs at lots of face and body stores, or just make some of your own with milk (also a moisturizer) and a little citrus. Which brings us to…
- Citrus Juice – Lemons, oranges, kiwis and strawberries all contain antiseptic ingredients and folic acid, so they’re natural astringents and beneficial vitamins all in one. These are great for fighting acne and oily skin problems and leave skin feeling fresh and clean – and smell good too!
- Olive Oil – After all that exfoliating and cleansing, moisture is an important part of your skin regiment. Use a bit of olive oil on especially dry areas like feet, knees, elbows and hands. It’s also great for dry scalps and gives hair a healthy shine! Its extra vitamin E and antioxidants nourish deep into skin, preventing greasy buildup and providing a long-lasting glow.
- Aloe vera – Alright, so maybe you don’t have this in the pantry, but it’s worth buying a bottle (or buying a plant! House decoration and endless beauty supply ingredient all in one!) Aloe vera is not only a great moisturizer, but it has a cooling and soothing effect on skin that relaxes pores and promotes healing. It’s a great gel to smooth on at bedtime so it can work its magic while you sleep.
And there you have it, the best ingredients for natural skin care that are probably in your home already. Try even mixing a few together to make your own skin care potion – the possibilities are endlessly beautiful! You’ll save money, never worry about what’s in your beauty products and look great!
Cindi Lewis writes for glossy a skin care and beauty products online retailer.