While interracial relationships are quickly becoming the norm, they still face many common issues in society. Tolerance and acceptance has increased for the mixing of races but there still remain people who choose to make life difficult for those who take part in interracial relationships. The following are a few common issues that they face on a daily basis.
- Being the outsider. Those who participate in interracial relationships become familiar with being the outsider. They quickly find themselves being the “outsider” in public places such as churches, restaurants, and schools. Being the minority in the room automatically focuses attention on relationships made up of mixed races. It often results in negative attention.
- Derogatory comments from other people. If you come across someone who doesn’t agree with the mixing of races in relationships, you probably won’t have to wonder how they feel about the relationship. Some people are more than willing to let their opinion be known. Expect derogatory comments from those who disagree. Unfortunately, this can lead to you and your partner becoming upset when you venture out into public. Be prepared to deal with derogatory comments from people who do not agree.
- Rejection from family members. The public is not the only problem that you may have to deal with when it comes to having an interracial relationship. Some of your family members may also have a problem with it. This can lead to feelings of rejection and being disowned by family members who may not agree. Are you prepared to handle rejection from family members who feel that different races should not make up a relationship?
- Stereotyping. Society will automatically assume that because you are in an interracial relationship, that you have a troubled relationship. Just as many people of minority races are stereotyped, those in relationships of different races also experience stereotyping. Stares and whispers may become the norm for you as you and your significant other go into public.
- Intimidation. Those who do not agree with your relationship may make an effort to intimate you. This is especially true if you live in a small town and are going against what is the “norm.” You may receive threats and be forced to find a new location in an attempt to live a somewhat normal life. While some people can handle intimation, other couples choose to run away from it in an effort to find normalcy in the relationship. It is easier for those who are interracial relationships to live in large cities as opposed to small town.
- Potential problems for children. Perhaps one of the biggest issues that come with interracial relationships is when it comes time to have children. “Mixed” children are often treated differently by other children. Society views people of mixed races as inferior to others and it is often hard for them to get respect. Mixed children often struggle finding their identity. However, many of them have proven to be just as successful as children of one race.
- The struggle to overcome. Partners in interracial relationships find themselves not only struggling with the day to day issues that plague every relationship. They also find that being classified as “interracial” also add to the stress. Interracial relationships are more likely to end in divorce because of the many struggles that must be dealt with throughout their lifetime.
Those who choose to take part in interracial relationships are guaranteed to run into problems. While the relationships are more widely accepted than ever before, there still remains animosity towards those who are in mixed relationships. Whether it’s through intimidation or rejection from family members, there is sure to be someone who doesn’t agree. How you deal with these issues will make all the difference in whether or not you will overcome. Be prepared to deal with the many challenges that may arise throughout the course of your relationship. As time goes on, society will become more accustomed to the mixing of races. Things can only get better as it become more widely accepted. How will you deal with the many challenges that come with interracial relationships? Are you willing to accept the challenge?
Author Bio: Kathy works as content developer for retail online store where you can buy specialty products like modern wall clocks , etagere, vanity mirrors and lot more.