If you are a dog lover like me, then you are well aware of how much dogs enrich our lives. Other than providing us with the best companionship and entertainment, dogs make us healthier and happier. Scientific research shows that taking care and spending time with a dog improves both our mental and physical health.
How is this possible? Let’s find out!
Reasons why your dog is good for your health
1. Can detect if you have cancer and help you understand it
Are you aware that dogs and people get the same type of cancer? Since they share symptoms and other effects of the disease, dogs can help us detect if one has cancer or not. How do they do this? This is unbelievably true. Dogs can detect the presence of colorectal cancer by sniffing someone’s breath or smelling their stool. This is believed to be 97% accurate since a dog’s sense of smell is way better than that of a human. And what happens when you detect the presence of a certain kind of disease in your body? You increase the chances of getting a successfully treatment since you begin medication early enough.
2. Help to relieve stress
How does a dog help to relieve stress or keep you calm? Various studies have been carried out and they reveal that a dog can help relieve various types of stressful tasks. How do they do this?
- They boost ones mood by providing great companionship. Spending time with your pet helps one feel more relaxed and calm. Studies show that playing with a dog raises the level of serotonin and dopamine which are the neurotransmitters responsible for tranquility and pleasure. Something as simple as tail wagging has similar effects to your brain like spending time with a person.
- They help one become more social with people around and more approachable. Spending time and doing activities with your furry friend can also help you get over shyness improving your overall interaction with people. When you spend time with people and socialize more, you stay happy. A blissful heart leads to a stress free life.
- When you spend time training and teaching your pet, you learn a lot of commitment, patience and selflessness. Since caring for a dog requires a lot of commitment and patience, you end up with improved personalities. A patient and responsible person is less stressed.
3. Helps you to stay active
What happens to your body when you exercise? You stay fit and healthy. A healthy body is less susceptible to diseases and chronic illnesses. When you take your dog on walks or throw the ball at it, it makes you exercise. There are high chances of exercising and walking for long distances when you have a companion whose company you enjoy than when you are alone.
4. Has better effects than medicine
Other than boosting your mood and relieving stress, our dogs are known to help improve the general body health. They lower blood pressure, reduce heart attacks and improve the body’s overall health. In addition, these faithful friends are known to help people with rheumatoid arthritis.
They are excellent motivators to help one to stay positive and active. By playing, walking and staying physically dynamic, dogs help one to forget about illnesses. The brain is everything when it comes to diseases. The calming effect that dogs have on your brain helps you to feel more at ease with various types of treatments.
5. Helpful to kids with various conditions.
ls your child sick of attention? Your dog can be a great solution to your child if they have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder(ADHD). By playing and taking care of the pet, the child learns more about responsibility and gets a general calm down which promotes their overall health. Research shows that a child who has a dog as a companion has fewer allergies and is less likely to get eczema. They also grow up with higher levels of immune system and fewer sick days. When your child is healthy, you also stay happy and healthy. You eat well, play and stay active.
Now that you understand the importance of your pet in your life, you should also spare some time to make him happy. When you play, share a bed or take a walk together, your pet’s health is improved. A rub on the belly can also work magic on him. Why do dogs like belly rubs? How do they make him feel?
It’s simple! When you stroke your dog’s hair, it reacts to the stimulation of the hair follicles because of a special brain neuron that makes the belly rubs satisfying. It feels a general satisfaction that is filled with pleasure and calmness. Take time and learn how to make your pet happy. For instance, learn how to sedate your dog, how to wash him and many more. Make your sweet companion happy, just like he makes you happy!
Emily is the founder of DesirablePuppy, where she writes blogs about foodstuff as well as best products for dogs and lots of small tips on training dogs that she knows. Moreover, DesirablePuppy is designed to share her passion with dog owners and help to keep you in the clear know about your best friend.